This quick-and-easy recipe is adapted from the fabulous cookbook The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. It can be served warm or chilled, and is equally delicious both ways.
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
- 1 head broccoli (approximately 1.5 pounds)
- 2 – 4 tablespoons water
- 2 – 4 cloves garlic (as desired), minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cut and separate broccoli florets. Trim rough ends of broccoli stalks, then cut into 1/2 inch slices.
In a large skillet with lid, cook the garlic in a few tablespoons of water, approximately 2 minutes, until softened. Add broccoli, vegetable broth, capers, and red pepper flakes. Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook until broccoli is tender but still firm, approximately 5 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to high, and cook while stirring until remaining broth evaporates, approximately 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm, or chill and eat as cold salad.