Rich flavors and interesting spices keep plant-based recipes exciting (though clean, raw vegetables are yummy, too!).
This warming, creamy soup is both spicy and sweet, and is perfect with a salad as a hearty, wholesome winter meal.
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
• 2½ cups pumpkin puree (either 1 ½ 16-oz cans cooked pumpkin – make sure you don’t get pumpkin pie filling – or cook your own pumpkin when in season and puree)
• 2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
• 3 cups vegetable broth
• 1 Tablespoon chopped green chiles (jalapeno, Thai chilis, etc.)
• ¾ cup coconut milk
• ¾ cup coconut cream (note: do not use cream of coconut, which has added sugar. If you want to keep this lower fat, skip the coconut cream, and double the coconut milk to a total of 1½ cups)
• 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
• Kosher or Sea Salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a stock pot over medium heat and sauté onion until soft.
2. Add tomato paste, pumpkin, ginger, garlic and broth. Stir well to combine and heat to a simmer.
3. Add the chilies, coconut cream, coconut milk and lemon juice. Stir to combine and bring up to a simmer over medium-high heat.
4. If blending in the Vitamix, pour mixture into blender and select Vibrate 1. Press Start and quickly increase speed to High. Blend for about 25 seconds.
5. OR If blending with an emersion blender, blend to desired consistency in the stock pot.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Garnish soup with cilantro, chopped peanuts and sour cream, if desired.