Adapted from a recipe at www.marthastewart.com
Big cubes of bread in this traditional Italian salad soak up the yummy dressing, but this is a delicious dish even if you’re avoiding wheat. You can leave the bread out and just enjoy the wonderful creaminess of the cannellini beans, and the fresh taste of the basil and veggies.
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 3/4 cups dried cannellini beans soaked overnight, then cooked for approximately 1.5 hours or 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cubed, fresh, whole grain bread (5 to 6 ounces); optional
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
In a large bowl, combine beans, bread, tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Add vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, and up to 8 hours. Just before serving, toss in basil.
Serves 4 – 6