There’s a secret ingredient in this recipe that gives it a creamy, luscious consistency but which is totally good for you: avocado! Before you stop reading because the idea of avocado and chocolate is too weird, remember that avocado is very mildly flavored, so even small kids who think they don’t like it won’t even know it’s there. And it’s super healthy: lots of potassium, vitamin E, and B vitamins. And this dessert requires no cooking – you can whip it up in minutes! Just make sure to eat it fresh as the avocados aren’t as yummy a day or two later.
1. 4 small or 3 large avocados
2. ½ cup unsweetened cocoa, or ½ cup carob powder
3. ¾ cup agave nectar or maple syrup
4. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5. ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
6. Banana slices, sliced or whole berries to top or garnish
7. Optional: water, coconut milk, or rice milk
Remove skin and pit from avocados, and combine all ingredients in food processor or blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. If you need to, add a tablespoon or two (or more, as needed) of water, coconut milk, or rice milk to achieve desired consistency.
Garnish with fruit of your choice.